Sunday 15 January 2012

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar



There is not quite so much power in most music as there is in First Aid Kit. Although only a (foolishly) passing listener to their music, every time I listen to their music I am over-powered by it. Their majesty is remarkably sincere and anthemic. Like a gospel choir of two, they command their sound with such a beautiful power that is rarely heard of. Their comprising elements all add up to such a harmonious end, from their perfectly tuned harmonies, to the subject matter of their lyrics, tackling such things as religious preaching and, in the case of ‘The Lion’s Roar’, from what I’ve deduced, how hard it can be to be a simple cog of a wheel that is going down a wrong and corrupt path. But then again, I did just watch V for Vendetta, so my perception is a little rebellious right now. And so it should be.

I cannot mistake my love for this song, and I am very much looking forward to the upcoming new LP of the same name (I have in fact just preordered it). It is quite unbelievable how so much can come out of so few; a Swedish two piece of sisters, First Aid Kit are very much a band of their own doing. Not reliant on the movements of another, they are very sincere musicians, clearly focussed on their craft and what that means for their place in the world. In their sound, I feel like I am brought into their home.Like with any folk, this music commands the soul in such a bold way that you are never quite sure what it is, but you know it is spiritual and not physical.

Their subject matter defies convention, and their beautifully commanding approach to folk music is both very distinctive and very fitting. Do preorder the new album. If this is telling of anything, it is telling of what could be one of the best albums of 2012.

By Eliot Humphries

(www.bl--dsp-rt.tumblr.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment